Sunday 20 April 2014

My favourite dish

Today I want to show you how to cook my favourite dish, lecsò, which is a Hungarian vegetable sauce.
I usually cook intuitionally, which means I do not normally weigh or measure anything, so the weights and measures I tell you are only an estimation.


For two servings you will need:

  • 2 tomatoes or approx. 10 cherry tomatoes
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 1 onion
  • other vegetables, if you like, such as mais or courgette
  • paprika
  • curry powder
  • vinegar
  • salt
  • pepper
  • oil
Heat a splash of oil and chop the onions, then fry them. In the meantime, cut all the vegetables into small chunks. First add the tomatoes, then the bell pepper. Stir for a while. The tomatoes should lose some of their water and give the lecsò its saucy texture. If not, you can add a splash of water. Then add the courgette, mais or other vegetables. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Make sure to check every now and then if there is enough water in the pot, otherwise add a splash. Only now should you season the lecsò. Add two teaspoons paprika, half a teaspoon curry powder and one tablespoon vinegar. If you like hot food, you can also add a pinch of ground ginger or chili powder. Season with salt and pepper and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. It is best served with rice or pasta.


I love this dish because it is simple and can be prepared in a matter of minutes. This way, I can eat a decent and healthy lunch even when I do not have much time. Due to its simplicity you can try countless variations. For example, in autumn, when tomatoes and bell peppers are not in season anymore, I like to use chunks of pumpkin and add cumin in addition to the other spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment