Tuesday 1 April 2014

The worst cook I know

Here comes the first correction of a piece of homework from this semester. The heading I chose was "The worst cook I know".


When it comes to cooking, my father fails to follow even the simplest instructions. In spite of the
 directions given on the package, he once confused the ratio of water and rice. The result was slightly burned, yet still crispy rice grains which added an unbearably smoked flavour to our lunch. Another time he wanted to surprise my mother and me with pasta and savoury home-made tomato sauce for lunch. Unfortunately, we came home later than expected. By then, the pasta had been boiling for over an hour. Needless to say, we were surprised, if more by its texture than by my father‘s kind gesture. Once my mother let him prepare dessert, hoping that he could not fail hopelessly this time – but my father proved us wrong. He is usually rather absent-minded and therefore seasoned the dessert with salt instead of sugar. Since this last incident he has only been allowed to microwave food, which has not caused any problems – so far.

The paragaph I had written was no entirely bad, but I had only two supporting points, which made it too short. After giving some thought to some of the disastrous meals my dad has cooked, I have added a third supporting point. Also, I had not used many new words in my original paragraph. I tried to add several adjectives and sub-clauses, but still I feel like I did not manage to use as many new words as others did.

No comments:

Post a Comment