Wednesday 14 May 2014

The ultimate Styrian food experience

Today, we were finally given the corrected texts from our first progress check. We had to recommend a location where you can get the ultimate Styrian food experience. I chose the 'Stubenberghaus', a restaurant on top of a mountain where I had been working as a waitress for one whole summer.

If you want to try typical Austrian dishes in an extraordinary location, the ‘Stubenberghaus’ is the place to go. It is located on top of the ‘Schöckl’, a mountain north of Graz. The best time to visit the ‘Stubenberghaus’ is in summer. Even if it is unbearably hot in the city, it is relatively cool on top of the mountain. I recommend booking a table if you want to enjoy the breath-taking view from their terrace. This is because there are usually a great number of tourists and hikers.
Since all the ingredients have to be brought to the restaurant by cable car, the choice of dishes is somewhat limited. However, they also have home-made specials consisting of seasonal ingredients that are quite tasty.
If you like meat, try the ‘Kürbiskernschnitzel’, a piece of pork that is covered in flour, egg and pumpkin seeds and then deep-fried. Even though I do not usually like the taste of meat, it was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, the ‘Stubenberghaus’ does not cater specifically for vegetarians or vegans. Non-meat-eaters are best asking the staff, who all speak English, for a vegetarian option. Anyone with a sweet tooth is advised to order the ‘Kaiserschmarren’, a typical Austrian dessert that resembled shredded pancakes. It will be freshly prepared for you and served with sugary plum jam. I strongly advise you not to order one for you alone however unless it is your main course – it is simply too filling.
Dining at the ‘Stubenberghaus’ may be a bit pricey for a student, but having lunch while enjoying a stunning view of Graz and its surroundings is a memorable experience that should definitely not be missed.

I am honestly surprised that I got such a good mark on my test because I was not completely content with it. After the exam, I felt like I should have used more new vocabulary. Sometimes I had a somewhat unelegant way to express myself, but our teachers provided great suggestions that helped me rewrite the text in a (hopefully) better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment