Thursday 6 March 2014

What good bloggers do

This week, I had a look at a number of blogs written by my classmates in order to find out what makes a good blog and even better blog.



We were supposed to find our "top blogs" - an almost impossible task for me to do! Every blog is unique, which makes it difficult to compare them to one another. However, one of the most outstanding blogs is David's. He once told us that it takes him several hours to write a blog post - if you have a closer look at his blog, you will understand why. He writes about unusual and sometimes very sophisticated topics, but always in a witty way that is fun to read. Every post consists of text as well as videos or pictures - and he even made an effort to create memes or photoshop himself into some of the pictures taken from Lord of the Rings! Oh, and did you notice that David's blog has its own favicon in the tab of your browser? I don't know how you did it, but this is a brilliant detail! The only thing I dislike about it is the dark design, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and at least he uses a white font so that everything is clearly legible.

Another one of my favourite blogs is Josepha's. The simple, yet structured design made me like it even before I had read a single post. Josepha writes extremely long posts, but you will never feel the urge to skip to the next one in the middle of reading because what she writes seems extraordinarily honest and passionate.

The perfect blog is a mixture of well-chosen design and content. I believe everyone's taste in colours and fonts is different, but titles as well as the content should at least be legible and the background image or additional gadgets should not distract too much from the actual blog entries. Personal experiences are always great to read about, especially because you can (or have to) express yourself freely when telling them, which makes the post lively and authentic. I also enjoy reading about unusual hobbies or websites that I would not have known about otherwise, so whenever you come across something interesting, let your classmates and the rest of the blogging world know!

Be passionate!
Be authentic!
Be unique!

I started to improve my blog by finally changing the background image. I did not like the standard image because some others used it too and it made my blog less outstanding. I am still not quite content with the flower image because it might seem too pink and girly (which I am absolutely not, I swear), however, I found many colourful images too distracting and many simple images too boring and depressing - well yes, I am probably picky. I also don't like the blog title but I haven't found anything better yet - I am still waiting for some sort of epiphany.
If I look at my later posts, many of them were assigned posts so they are less interesting to read. I decided to start writing more about personal experiences again, and try to make the assigned posts sound less as if they were written with a "okay, I did it because I had to, are you happy now?"-attitude. Since this is an assigned post too - did I succeed? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment