Monday 23 December 2013

The Story of Ireland

Another corrected piece of homework:

The most fascinating aspect of Irish culture that I learned about by watching the Story of Ireland was the tension between Northern and Southern Ireland that culminated in the Easter Rising. Basically, it was a concept called Home Rule that triggered the debate whether Ireland should be part of the British monarchy or a state on its own. Most Northern Irishmen were in favour of the union, while the Southerners were not. The latter eventually plotted a strike against the British rule in Ireland by taking over the General Post Office in Dublin and declaring the Republic of Ireland. This incident, now better known as the Easter Rising, was certainly not the end of tensions between North and South, but it marks an important milestone on the way to the Republic of Ireland as we know it today. Even though it took me quite a long time and many additional sources to understand all the information given in the documentary, I found it to be intriguing work because I am interested in recent history.

In the original version, I had written too much about the way the information was presented in the documentary. I also had made some silly logical mistakes. In the future, I should proofread my texts more carefully and make sure that every sentence corresponds to the topic sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment